Tuesday, June 10, 2014

New Beginning


I begin my history on this night, the eve of my father’s death, and the eve before my departure form the only home I have ever known.  I do not know that anyone will ever read, or care to read, my history but it eases my mind to put to pen the thoughts and feelings coursing through my mind and soul.  
I was born Frederik Frederikson the fifth, and youngest, son of Sir Frederik Olardson Duke of Roglund and Hollardan called Frederik the Mountain twenty years ago last month.  My father began life as the second son of Olard Count of Risoria a minor holding on the western edge of Northland bordering the wilderness, and through conquest intrigue and the brute force of his will became the most powerful Duke in all of Northland.  His wealth was great, and his sons are many.
Therein lies the reason for my departure so soon after my father’s passing.  Father’s will was read today before the King and all the nobles assembled to our estate for the funeral.  To my eldest brother Willard the Duchy of Roglund, to Adelhard the Duchy of Hollardan, to Leidulf the county of Shaermar by the sea,  to Giles the county of Haganes all of these with all their cattle and men.
 Last of all to me Frederick he left his name, two horses of my choosing from Shaermar, four hounds from the kennels at Haganes, and five men each from the Roglund and Hollardan, I was also given  the county of Risoria, lordless and deserted these fifty years since the death of my grandfather. 

So I am now Sir Frederik Frederikson Count of Risoria a land of bandits and goblins that has likely been absorbed into the wilderness that was always on its doorstep.  My brothers wish me no ill will, but have made it clear that they also wish me gone.  I was born much later than they to my father’s second wife, and they never trusted me.  They are all as ambitious as father, and see me as a threat to that ambition.  At dawn I will choose my horses and my hounds  and my men, and will follow the sun to my new  life and home in an untamed land.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, very nice!

    There is a typo up near the top with a stray 0 just hanging out there. and there could maybe be more punctuation in the final paragraph? Other than that, I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete